Thursday, January 23, 2014

Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit



http://youtu.be/K9KAnx4EvaE




Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit





The first time I saw this movie trailer I thought to myself, “I want to see this!” The trailer opens with the main character, Chris Pine, calling someone and saying, “We have a situation.” Immediately following, shots are fired and a bloody fight breaks lose between Pine and the mysterious assassin. This first scene is action-packed and draws the viewer to the edge of his or her seat making them eager to see more.

Chris Pine is the superstar of this trailer. He appeals to ethos, pathos and logos in all different ways. First of all ethos, Pine is a credible action star. Just look at his previous performances in the Star Trek films. Pine also has a pathos appeal. A lot of girls are attracted to Pine and therefor might go see this movie only because they are Chris Pine in the Star Trek films. Pine also has a pathos appeal. A lot of girls are attracted to Pine and therefor might go see this movie only because they are Chris Pine fans. Finally logos, Pine is a logical choice for the star of this film. He is young exciting and a great actor.

There are many other forms of Ethos used in this trailer. The first big one that comes out at you literally is, “From the director of Thor.”  I personally loved Thor, so not only does this give the director credit it also has a pathos appeal to me because I liked Thor and I’m sure other people did too. The second big Ethos example that was included in the trailer was, “Based on Characters by Tom Clancy.” Tom Clancy is a very well-known author and a lot of people like him which also gives a pathos appeal.

The music in this trailer is awesome. It is suspenseful from the very beginning and you feel like you are watching an action-thriller. I am very impressed by the choice of music. It is absolutely a pathos device being used and connects with the viewer. Along with the music the use of a girlfriend figure of Chris Pine’s fans might want to come watch the romance.

The use of action in basically every scene is a form of Logos being used. For people who like action movies this trailer is a 10/10. As I said before mentioning Tom Clancy will make people who like him go see this movie which is very logical as well. I have seen  while watching this trailer that ethos, pathos, and logos overlap quite a bit and especially on the main points that the trailer is trying to get across to the viewer’s.


Overall I thought this was an outstanding movie trailer. I wasn’t even watching the screen when it first came on and the music alone drew my head up away from my phone to see what was happening. I have not seen this movie yet but will go see it really soon. I think it’s going to be an awesome movie and from what I have seen so far it has received great reviews. 




No comments:

Post a Comment